Monday, January 10, 2011

BCS National Championship (8:30pm, 1/10)

Oregon (+2) v Auburn

Okay, the big one. First to review, I've done pretty well in calling these bowl games - 20-14 both straight up and against the spread. Which brings me to 148-65 (69.4%) straight up for the year, and 118.5-94.5 (55.6%) against the spread for the year. I'd have to go back and look, but it's probably the best year I've had calling the games. With all that said, I really don't have any idea what to make of this one.

There's almost too many stories, too many matchups that are razor thin, and it's probably going to come down to which team has the ball at the end. Oregon's D is underrated and can generate turnovers. Auburn offense is big and much more than just Cam Newton. Will Auburn's D be able to keep up with the breakneck pace of the Duck's attack? Will the Oregon offensive line be able to hold back the Tigers and Fairley? Oregon will win some of these battles, and Auburn will win others. I don't see a blowout here, but if one were to happen, sorry TCU - you're not gonna have many people on your side anymore.

If I were betting real money, I'd stay the hell away from this one. But since I'm not...

The Call: Oregon by 7

The Result: Auburn 22-19
Finally an exciting championship game. The big win for the Tigers was their line play, which enabled them to run their offense as they wanted and disrupt the Duck attack. Oregon just couldn't get into rhythm the entire game, keeping up the sustained drives they're used to. Major props to Auburn for a stellar season.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I have not seen any updates or posts since Auburn won, which is not like you at all - are you OK? I think that your website is one of the best out there on college football, and would miss your insight if you quit. I hope that you continue your website.

Best regards

One of your more enthusiastic readers

Steve

Ed Gunther said...

Hey there Steve, thanks for the thoughts. Things are good, but really busy these last few months. I usually go on a bit of a hiatus during the off-season, but I'm still prepping things and will hopefully be able to post more soon.

Ed